Friday, November 25, 2011

One of Those Days

Ever have "one of those days," where it starts out bad and you wonder what could possibly happen next? Yep.   Today is one of them. 


I had a lot of stuff to do this morning before we headed out, and I know I should have done at least some of it last night, but of course, I put it off, which is always a recipe for disaster, isn't it?  Then, literally as soon as my alarm went off this morning, I got a text with some distressing news about someone I know (but it turned out relatively okay in the end), which added a tiny bit to my workload, but that is okay, because it could not be avoided.  I was more worried about the person than anything.


Basically, I started the day at a bit of a disadvantage, and it kind of spiralled from there.  Add to that a sky which is a lovely shade of dark grey, and a lack of motivation, and it's really no wonder I felt so blah.


Anyway.  I did what I needed to do (hampered slightly by stiffness from a fall I suffered yesterday after I was attacked by an icy sidewalk), and headed out to parent teacher.  And wonder of wonders, the day actually started to look up!


We got to parent teacher a bit late, but we got there.  It's so much fun to see all that my child is learning and how much he's changed.  I learned he is struggling a little bit in math (which is surprising when your mom is a big math nerd), but we got some good suggestions to help that.  Here's the awesome thing:  the kid who struggled so much with his reading last year, to the point where he needed intervention, is now the top reader in his class!  He's got mad comprehension skills!  And his spelling is awesome too!  Words cannot express how proud I am of this boy and his dedication to learning.


After that we went to the library so he could get a library card, and take out a book or two.  We had limited time, and it was hilarious to watch him zipping through the rows of books trying to pick something.


At this point, Gramma announced she was coming to get the boy, and we zipped back home (thank you, downtown skywalk system) to meet her.  She was happy to hear he did so well, and decided she should send mommy off to have lunch on her!  Yay!  She also filled me in on the boy's Christmas gift, and I know the boy is going to be VERY surprised, since I told him Santa would likely not be bringing that item to him.


After lunch, I decided to come back to the library and do some research, because, sometimes it's nice to have a change of scenery.  The day got even better after that, because I ran into a friend, and we sat and had a bit of a visit.   Didn't get much research done, but I am actually okay with that.  I suppose I should really go home soon, but it's been nice to be out.


That's been my day today.  Started out badly, but all it took was one little thing to shift my perspective, and it's turned out to be quite a lovely day.  I love it when that happens.  


Cheers! 
Tara







No comments:

Post a Comment