Tuesday, February 1, 2011

David

So, for day one of the Girl Geek Winnipeg blog challenge, I thought I'd talk about my favourite topic: my son David. I really could talk about this kid endlessly, but I suspect that is because he's mine.  February first is his birthday, so I suspect that is yet another reason he's foremost on my mind today.






The above picture is probably a good indicator of the relationship David and I have. Laughter definitely plays a big role in our home, and it shows. Sure, we have our moments, but this kid is definitely not lacking in the sense of humour department. He's very much like his Mom.

I adopted David in 2004 as a single parent. It was definitely a huge decision, and scary, but it was the best decision I've ever made. I had a social worker working with me who was an unbelievable source of support during the whole process. I can't say how grateful I am to her for bringing David into my life.

Usually, prospective parents and children have different workers, but it didn't work that way for us. I was in the final stage of getting my application approved, when I got a call from my worker saying that a file landed on her desk, and she thought he'd be perfect for me. I wasn't quite ready to be placed on the registry, so she rushed out to my workplace to get me to sign all my paperwork, and conveniently "forgot" to put David into the registry of available children until the day I was registered.

The next day, I got a call saying that another worker had approached her with a prospective family, and she hadn't returned her call yet, and how fast could I get to her office to look at this kid's file. I called my mom shrieking, and she started shrieking, and off we went! Half an hour later, I was sitting in the social worker's office, looking at the picture of a kid that I just KNEW was mine. Of course, I said I needed time to "think" but really, I'd made the decision. This toddler was mine. 

A month later (the social worker was on vacation, so I had to wait), I met with David at his foster home, and fell in love. The very first word he ever said  to me was "Mama," and that was enough to get me hooked. I brought him home a week later, and we've been a "forever family" ever since. His adoption was finalized a week before I turned thirty. Best. Birthday. Present. Ever.

Anyway, you'll be hearing more about David as time goes on, but I just wanted to tell the story of how we got together. I hope you enjoyed it. 

Much love, 
Tara


9 comments:

  1. Aww - that is so sweet. Most parents can't tell their kids that the chose them specifically, but you can. I hope he always remembers that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a good choice. This one is my mini me. :)
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so i posted a comment, telling you how much i liked reading the story of how you and The David came to be a forever family...and it does not appear here...so here I am again...

    Now, if it turns out you are moderating the comments you receive, please post the first comment, and delete this one...

    Keep 'em coming Tara...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok...i missed a step the first time...we are good to go now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome story!

    I am a solo-mom, too, and hear you on the laughter thing. Somedays (most days), you just gotta laugh...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved reading that Tara!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so slow. LOL I was adopted as a baby (3 days old) however I always knew that I was and always felt special. David will always feel extra special Tara, because you really did choose hime!!! Absolutely LOVE y'all's story!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is such a wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete