Sunday, February 13, 2011

Will You Be My Valentine?

Howdy all!


So... it's that time of year again... Valentines day. I'm really not a big fan, but don't worry, I'm not going to go on a rant, as people often do about how it's a made up, Hallmark holiday designed to sell greeting cards, or just another way for all those annoying people who are in love to stick it to the single people.  Not this year anyway.


In the past, I've found myself feeling down on Valentine's day, wondering what's so wrong about me that I'm still single, or, if I'm in a relationship, why it's not what I expected it to be. I've moped, and looked at all the people out in the stores buying all those romantic gifts. I've thought, why me?


This year however, it's more of a non-issue. I can't really say what triggered the change in perspective, but it's a good one.  When I look at my life, even taking into account that the last 18 or so months have had some big challenges, I'm fairly happy with it.  Sure, it would be awesome to have someone special to share it with, but I'm not just going to date for the sake of dating. It's not just me I have to consider.


I'm really ok with being single. I don't think that being single at my age makes me any less special, or somehow defective. It's just how it worked out, and I'm stronger for it. I've conquered so much on my own and proved that I can do anything I can set my mind to.  


Besides, I have an awesome valentine right here. His name is David. He's sweet, and lovely, and loves unconditionally. He's the reason I tend to be more selective about who I date... the right one will have to accept us at a package, and I refuse to settle. 


Anyway, maybe it'll happen, maybe it won't, but in the meantime, I'm going to enjoy all that life throws at me and be happy with myself.


Happy  Valentines day!


Tara

2 comments: